HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Andi2016

Andi2016

Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody Empty
PostSubject: Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody   Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:04 am

I'm not sure how old this interview is, but Prof Thomas Borody is treating Crohn's Disease with long-term antibiotics in Sydney. Crohn's is still widely considered to be an auto-immune disease (as is IC/PBS). Crohn's treatment has traditionally involved managing inflammation, not the cause of the inflammation (bacteria). Sound familiar?

Prof Borody explains the disease is caused by an intracellular bacteria which is linked to Johne's disease in cattle and sheep and can be acquired by human's through sheep meat and cow's milk. The body's immune response sends white blood cells to deal with the foreign invader, which causes an inflammatory response. Again, sound familiar?

This particular intracellular bacteria divides very slowly and can only be killed by antibiotics when it's active. Therefore, long-term antibiotics is what's needed.

Prof Barry Marshall will be familiar with Prof Borody's work, as he was once part of the h.pylori team. It would be interesting to hear if he thinks there are any similarities with these diseases.

http://healthprofessionalradio.com.au/2016/03/09/health-service-hospital-management-segment-map-us/
Back to top Go down
Tina2

PostSubject: Re: Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody   Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Andi, do you know which anti biotic is used
Back to top Go down
Andi2016

Andi2016

PostSubject: Re: Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody   Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 12:30 pm

The bacteria is mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis (MAP). I don't know what cocktail is used, but I think he talks about it in this youtube interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crm4pKz6X2M
Back to top Go down
Andi2016

Andi2016

PostSubject: Re: Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody   Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Also related, this is interesting. Intestinal worms could be our frenemies to beat diseases like Crohn's and IBD http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/parasitic-worms-may-prevent-crohn-s-disease-altering-bacterial-balance

Back to top Go down
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody   Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 6:46 am

Also on this there are many people who have taken low dose anti rejection drugs like the ones used in transplant surgery and gone into remission. But i still think there's more than one cause of BPS.
Back to top Go down
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody   Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 6:51 am

I did a stool test and they found citrobacter in my bowel. Citrobacter is normally implicated in bladder UTIs. But they found it after i had been on 3 different anti biotics for 5 weeks for suspected prostatitis prior to being diagnosed with BPS. How could citrobacter have survived 5 weeks of strong anti biotic therapy in my bowl and never show up in any of my bladder biopsies or urine samples. Has any one ever had a comprehensive still sample done to check for bacteria over growth
Back to top Go down
dantheman

PostSubject: Re: Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody   Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 6:56 am

Last post i promise. The doctor wasnt interested in an overgrowth of citrobacter in the bowel because it wasn't in the bladder. They never checked prostate fluid for its presence. The testing for IBS is sub standard and urologists don't want to do whatever is necessary to get to the bottom of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody   Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody Empty

Back to top Go down

Antibiotic treatment for Crohn's Disease - Prof Thomas Borody
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
IC-BPS FORUM :: General Discussion :: Research-
Jump to: