Interstitial Cystitis Bladder Pain Syndrome discussion forum
HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

World studies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Danheman

World studies Empty
PostSubject: World studies   World studies EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 10:02 am

This isn't just an American or Australian disease. Does anyone know of any studies being conducted in Asia, Europe, China, Russia, etcetera. This disease is rampant in the ndustrialised world yet who is researching it? Has anyone come across any studies in other countries other than the usual. Andi I know you are well read on IC are you aware of anyone doing anything other than the U.S. And Australia?
Back to top Go down
Andi2016

Andi2016

World studies Empty
PostSubject: Re: World studies   World studies EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 7:31 am

Yes, definitely good research from the UK leading the way. I think also in China, Japan and there was something from Italy, maybe? I saw something from some obscure country recently that I didn't expect, but I can't think what that was off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Andi2016

Andi2016

World studies Empty
PostSubject: Re: World studies   World studies EmptyThu Aug 18, 2016 3:03 pm

Dan, I can't find the study I was talking about above. But I should probably add that it depends on your definition of research into IC. I don't think a lot of research with 'IC' in the title amounts to much. I did notice that the term 'lower urinary tract disorders' is being used more and perhaps that's a way around the no-hope, deeply entrenched, faulty stigma and dogma that comes with IC/PBS. I'd love to never hear the term IC/PBS ever again.

Summerly might know more about research from other countries, as she's well read too. I'm not sure if you can tag people on here to get her attention.
Back to top Go down
Andi2016

Andi2016

World studies Empty
PostSubject: Re: World studies   World studies EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 12:58 pm

Dan, you might be interested in this 2011 paper that highlights just how enormous bladder problems are on a global scale (so it's not limited to industrialised nations). The paper estimates the current and predicted prevalence of people suffering lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS), overactive bladder (OAB), urinary incontinence (UI) and bladder outlet obstruction (BOO).

The paper projects that LUTS etc, a highly prevalent condition worldwide, will only increase with time - with a particular increase in burden in developing counties such as Asia, Africa and South America.

"An estimated 45.2%, 10.7%, 8.2% and 21.5% of the 2008 worldwide population (4.3 billion) was affected by at least one LUTS, OAB, UI and LUTS/BOO, respectively. By 2018, an estimated 2.3 billion individuals will be affected by at least one LUTS (18.4% increase), 546 million by OAB (20.1%), 423 million by UI (21.6%) and 1.1 billion by LUTS/BOO (18.5%)."

I know this paper doesn't mention IC/PBS as such, but to me that's well and truly covered by LUTS, OAB, UI and BOO.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09993.x/full

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

World studies Empty
PostSubject: Re: World studies   World studies Empty

Back to top Go down

World studies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
IC-BPS FORUM :: General Discussion-
Jump to: